Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Best laid plans...


Another fake cover I did. But it
was when it started to hit me that
I was ripping the book off...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Basically, like I said before, there's not a lot going on. The 3rd shift work is draining a lot of out me creatively, but I am looking for a new job. It's a lot easier this time around to do when you actually have a job in the first place. Also a bit of creative frustrations on my behalf as well... Well, you see, before starting on Firecracker, I was going to do a short B&W story called the Black Banshee. (I've mentioned this before, I think.) I've been very public about loving old Golden Age superheroes like the Sandman, Hourman and even the Golden Age Batman with his fruity purple gloves. The Black Banshee is essentially my love letter to those old Golden Age Pulp heroes. (This idea stemmed off the old Doc Shadow concept from Shadowgirls. While a new concept, it was still in the same universe.) So I've been sketching and doodling here ideas for it... Until I realized something that changed everything.

I've been buying the collections of Sandman Mystery Theatre. It was a favorite book of mine back in the day, and a real factor in my love for Golden Age comics. But it's also been a long time since I read a lot of those books, since a lot of my comic collections were lost during the cross state moves of the past several years. So I've been re-reading and catching up with the comic. And that's when I realized that I had been unintentionally ripping off the book. Seriously, there's a lot of defining elements from SMT that found it's way into Black Banshee. And they were distinct enough that I would be outright accused of ripping it off... And it'd be justified.

So Black Banshee has been shelved, until I can rethink the concept. So I'm going to press forward with the other concept, the Firecracker project. I was hoping to wait a little bit before doing that one, but I've been out of the comic game for a little longer than I wanted to be, and I want to get back in it sooner than later.

I'm kinda disappointed, but on the other hand, I've been paying attention to a lot of webcomics lately, and there's been a large crop of superhero webcomics popping up, and a lot of them are pretty derivative of pre-existing concepts. (Some of them even take pride in being so.) And if I'm going to add to the pile, I'd rather TRY and be somewhat original than just be doing a shameless ripoff.

(And before someone says that I'm being harsh on Golden Age Batman's fruity purple gloves... Here's the damn toy I got last night. You tell me that doesn't make you think show tunes.)


No comments: