Monday, February 13, 2012

Not much to babble about.


One of the problems with updating a blog on a regular basis is that occasionally from time to time, you just don't have anything important to say. I would love to give you all an update about the comic, but it's not progressed any farther than when we last left off. I'm still fleshing out the script, it's coming along great, and I'll probably have more artwork for it soon, but other than that... There's not much else new to say. I haven't really watched a lot of stupid movies to do a write up about... I've mainly been watching either good old fashion classic movies that are the farthest thing from “stupid”, or stupid movies that I think are awesome, but they're pretty obvious ones. Like Transformers: Dark of the Moon... It made a billion dollars, and since it was better than the second movie, and you all know I LIKED the second movie... It really would be wasting time to sit here and tell you my obvious opinions about the film. (At least with the second one, there could be some reading entertainment in watching me try and justify liking an awful movie.) I have been watching with great zeal though, the Discovery Channel's documentary “When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions” which basically talks about the history of the United States Space Program from the Mercury Program in the 1960s, all the way to the mid 2000s. It's pretty in-depth, and extremely fascinating for me. You really get a true sense of the ingenuity that the NASA engineers put into the whole program. Oh yeah, ingenuity and duct tape. Lots and lots of duct tape. I've always been a huge fan of space travel and to be bluntly honest... NASA's current standing pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. (For those curious, the NASA documentary is actually a bit of research as well, as Marica from Firecracker is a big space buff.)

I did recently buy a Kindle Fire and I've caught up on my comic reading like you would not believe. Sure it can do a lot more like movie watching, MP3, and so on... But I mainly use it for comic book reading, and I've probably read more comics in this past week than I have in the entirety of 2011. It's probably the best $200 I've spent in a long time. I know a lot of people have told me that if I'm going to get one I might as well get an iPad... But I got to be honest: I don't need THAT much. I mean, if I'm going to type up a large amount of text, like an email, blog or forum post, I'll use this computer. I'm not going to do artwork on it, nor am I going to do be listening to music on it either. (That's what I got a MP3 player for.) I use it for reading comics, books, and the occasional websites. That's it. I'm not doing online banking, or stock trading. I'm not chatting or posting on Twitter. I'm just wanted to read. And seriously, I really have to give it a lot of praise. My only complaint is that I do wish the screen was bigger, and there are times that my gigantic gorilla fingers have trouble hitting the not all that sensitive touchscreen buttons. It's far from perfect, but for being a first generation table from Amazon, it's well worth the $200 I think. And at about $300 less than an iPad or the Samsung Galaxy to boot! (Also it's given me a lot to think about when it comes to comic book distribution. Like having the webcomic, and then offering the issue for digital download for a small price with extra content. Like exclusive pages.)

Anyway, the picture of Max to the side there is me just working with some redesigns of some recurring characters Shadowgirls that will be popping up in Firecracker. (Not as main characters, but as occasional guests.) Since Firecracker will take place five years after SG, I figured some of those characters were due for a redesign, and I figured I'd start with Max here since she's in the first story.

I'll have more soon.

No comments: